This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a commision if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.
My favorite cookies are not the fancy surprise kind loaded with everything under the sun, but the classic and most delicious kind. The plain, simple, Grandma-kind of cookie, the one I used to make as a child before Pinterest exploded. This is one of those recipes-the best classic snickerdoodle cookie recipe I’ve found yet.
A chewy but soft cookie, with a cinnamon sugar coating, they are a favorite around here. These are the best classic snickerdoodle cookies because they can help roll the dough in a ball, and then coat with the cinnamon sugar.
The only “weird” ingredient in these classic snickerdoodle cookies that you might not have on hand is Cream of Tartar, so before you start mixing these up, check your spice drawer to make sure you have some!
My favorite affordable and minimalist cookie-making supplies:
- Extra large non-stick cookie sheets to bake as many cookies at once as possible.
- Cookie scoop-just one, a classic size-#30, great for when kids are helping.
- Set of spatulas in three sizes.
- Parchment paper to save time-I love not having to wash cookie sheets, and having cookies that don’t ever stick!
Classic Snickerdoodle Cookies
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
For cinnamon sugar topping:
- 2 TBS white sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cream together sugar, butter, eggs and vanilla with a mixer in a large bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Mix the cinnamon sugar topping in a small bowl.
- Roll the dough into 1" balls, and then roll that ball into the cinnamon sugar mixture until well coated.
- Place balls on a sprayed baking sheet or one lined with parchment paper, giving them plenty of room to spread out when baked. Using the palm of your hand flatten the cookies somewhat.
- Bake 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from baking sheet once cooled.
More classic family favorite cookies:
Best Sugar Cookies-Great for cut-outs for any occasion, with a delicious frosting.
Best Gingersnap Cookies-Molasses cookies made with a classic sugar coating, these are rich and chewy and a family-favorite.
Classic Delicious Peanut Butter Cookies-Melt in your mouth, addicting, classic and soft peanut butter cookies.
I love to give the cookies I make as gifts to neighbors, teachers and friends at holidays or ANYTIME.
Minimalist Supplies To Wrap Cookies Simply But Beautifully For Gifts:
Small Polka Dot Cellophane Bags ,To fit three large cookies, or 6-12 Small stacked cookies
Wax Bags, Individual Size Serving
Old-Fashioned Baker’s Twine, I love this mulit-colored set, and use it often.
Round Tags-Tie these with the string to wrap up your gift.