This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a commision if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no cost to you.
Welcome! Today is Day One of 40 Bags in 40 Days (all the old posts HERE) and I’ve made my list and I’m checking it twice! I am going to offer you five tips on how to declutter and organize the bathroom for 40 Bags in 40 Days-or use it anytime you feel you need it! I started the 40 Day process in the farthest corner of my first floor which happens to be the old Master Bathroom. (Remember you can start wherever you’d like-start slow or easy or fast and furious!) The kids and I use this space mostly for morning duties, like tooth brushing and hair, and my teen uses it for “his” bathroom. It’s a nice overflow bathroom (my other two full baths are upstairs and I have a TINY 1/2 bath in the older section of the first floor.
Here are my FIVE bathroom tips for bathroom purging and organization for the 40 Bags in 40 Days challenge:
1. Check expiration on old medications and get rid of expired medications and those that you don’t use or haven’t used. These are the clear bins I bought to organize all my medication, first aid things, and bug spray and sunscreen. (I ended up purging further after the photo was taken and donated the antibacterial lotion to my children’s teachers.)
2. Old hair appliances like curling rods, hair dryers, all those gizmos-if you haven’t used it, or used it once years ago, donate it.
3. Mismatched towels, washcloths, etc. I just bought two sets from Amazon as my towels down in this bath were college-kid left overs and pretty worn. I love matching sets, and also just enough. (I do laundry almost every day.). I think 3-5 sets is enough-that way laundry is manageable and kids can use towels more than once.
4. I like to keep a very simple shower stock-shampoo, conditioner, soap. The simpler the better. Weed out ruthlessly the products you don’t use or combine them! Yes, I do this! Hair stylists everywhere might gasp in horror but I really believe it’s almost all the same. Getting into a simple, organized shower in the morning feels so much better than one cluttered with bottles.
5. Remember the simpler the bathroom, the easier and quicker it is to clean!
Here are my five bathroom tips for organization for the 40 Bags in 40 Days challenge:
1. Keep a small bin of the same cleaners in each bathroom. I keep Windex, Clorox bleach bathroom cleaner (for toilets and shower), Clorox wipes, a scrubbie, and a microfiber cloth. (I am transitioning to natural products that cost next to nothing, but not until these are all used up.) For this bathroom only, I made a mixture of 1 tsp of Dawn and the rest vinegar for spraying on the glass doors and keep in the bin also.
2. Keep medication and bandages all in the same place in your home. You will always know what you have and what you need, and older kids will be able to find what they need.
3. For clear counter tops, keep toothbrushes in cabinet drawers if possible. It also cuts down on germs. (Thanks Erin for this tip!)
4. Buy a different style or color of towels for each bathroom. That way when doing the laundry, or cleaning a kid’s room, you will know exactly what bathroom the towels should be returned to.
5. Keep hair and facial products simple. Less choice, and brand loyalty is actually a good thing sometimes. It saves space in your head and in your home!
One bonus tip-For a cleaner look, hide your old shower with a shower curtain!