This was a hit at my house last Sunday night, and I’ve saved the leftovers for lunch for me all week. It hits the spot on a cold winter day!
Italian Sausage and Vegetable Soup
1 TBS olive oil
1 pound of Italian sweet sausage, removed from casings
1 cup diced celery
2 cups chopped onion
1 large chopped red bell pepper
1 TBS chopped garlic
1/4 cup tomato paste
2 pounds of diced zucchini
5 chopped plum tomatoes
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 quarts (two boxes) of chicken or vegetable broth
1 cup coarsely grated Parmesan cheese
1 TBS basil seasoning (2TBS fresh if you prefer)
1. Chop onion, zucchini, garlic, celery, pepper and tomato and set aside.
2. In a large soup pot, add olive oil and sausage. Over medium high heat cook sausage using a spoon (or see below) to crumble sausage, until sausage is browned.
3. Add onion, celery and pepper and saute 5 minutes.
4. Add garlic, pepper, salt and tomato paste, stirring together, cook for a couple minutes.
5. Add tomatoes, zucchini, chicken broth and Parmesan cheese, along with basil. Stir well to combine.
6. I simmered on low for a few hours, and then served with more Parmesan cheese for a topping. You could also add it to a slow cooker and keep it on low until ready to be served.
I also served this withmy garlic bread, but added some mozzarella cheese on top of the bread before cooking.
To crumble ground beef and sausage, or to smash avocados for guacamole, I use this meat chopper tool-I keep my kitchen tools at the bare minimum but LOVE this thing: