Ten Ways to Raise A Reader
by Gladys Hunt
1. Restrict television watching drastically.
2. Keep the computer under control and where it can be monitored. Don’t allow too many hours on the pointless computer games or in chat rooms.
3. Have books and other good reading material within easy reach, an enticement to read.
4. Let your children see you reading.
5. Read books aloud together regardless of age.
6. Talk about books together, play games together.
7. Have well-lit rooms with comfortable chairs that invite reading.
8. Balance activity schedules with reading time. Let your kids know the library is as important as the gymnasium.
9. Encourage reading in bed with good lights to do so.
10. Visit the library often, and listen to books on tape when traveling.