When we recall Christmas past, we usually find that the simplest things - not the great occasions - give off the greatest glow of happiness.
Every Christmas season we:
1. Celebrated St. Nick's Day on December 6.
2. Fought over whose turn it was to put up the little ornament on the homemade felt calendar.
3. Lit a simple Advent wreath at dinner every night.
4. Had a Nativity scene set up with real straw that we could add to the manger if we did something nice.
5. Went downtown for lunch and shopping and the Santa visit on the train.
6. Hung a wreath above our fireplace.
7. Poured over the JCPenney catalog.
8. Wrote a letter to Santa and put it out on the front porch for the elves to deliver.
9. Made cut out Christmas cookies.
10. Patiently waited for one of the TV channels to show Rudolph or Frosty.
11. Went to Grandma L's Christmas Party.
12. Bought a tree a week or two before Christmas which we all decorated, and burned our fingers on the big colored bulbs.
13. Opened new pajamas on Christmas Eve.
14. Woke up early (5:30 am?) and Santa always came, even in the blizzards.
15. Opened presents which usually included new notebooks and pens and/or a sled...always a book or two.
16. And then we went to church.
Thanks Mom and Dad, for great memories.